Welcome to your First Six Weeks at UNL. This checklist is here to help you navigate the critical initial weeks of the semester with practical tips and reminders. From adjusting your sleep schedule to attending class and engaging in campus events, these simple steps are geared towards enhancing your academic journey and overall well-being. Whether you're a new or returning student, use this checklist to stay organized and set yourself up for success during the first six weeks at UNL.
Before Classes Begin
- Start adjusting your sleep schedule.
- Review your class schedule. Note the location and whether the classes are in-person or online. Contact your advisor if you have questions or concerns.
- Purchase textbooks and supplies.
- Locate your classrooms and get familiar with campus.
- Check Canvas for announcements and information.
- Make sure you get your parking pass from Parking Services before you arrive: parking.unl.edu/.
- Monitor winter weather and road conditions as you get closer to returning to campus: new.511.nebraska.gov/.
Week One: January 21-27
- GO TO CLASS - The first days are crucial for success.
- Attend MLK Week events: mlkweek.unl.edu/.
- How are you feeling? Your mental health is important. Take a mental health screening, and find other mental health resources: caps.unl.edu.
- Looking for a way to stay active and have fun?
- Check out the FREE Group Fitness classes: go.unl.edu/fitness-classes.
- Create a Syllabi Matrix: success.unl.edu/resources.
- Use your planner, phone, or Outlook Calendar to input important dates for quizzes, papers, projects, and exams.
- Review your bill on MyRED. Your bill will be available by January 25 and is due February 12.
Week Two: January 28-February 3
- GO TO CLASS - We recommend sitting towards the front of the classroom.
- Utilize free tutoring through CAST Study Stop.
- Ready to meet some new people and get involved? Check out these events to help you start the Spring semester: studentaffairs.unl.edu/student-events.
- Schedule a coaching session with a CAST Academic Success Coach to learn new strategies to support your success: success.unl.edu/academic-support#coaching.
Week Three: February 4-10
- GO TO CLASS - Introduce yourself to instructors and visit office hours.
- Follow @UNLCAST on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for additional tips and strategies.
- Check out a show at the Lied Center. Students can get free or discounted tickets to most shows.
Week Four: February 11-17
- GO TO CLASS - If you haven’t, introduce yourself to your classmates. These new friends can be potential study partners.
- Attend supplemental study sessions and visit Resource Centers for additional support.
Week Five: February 18-24
- GO TO CLASS - Attending every class session helps you effectively prepare for upcoming projects, quizzes, and midterm exams.
- Check out the Sheldon Museum of Art and the Nebraska State Museum at Morrill Hall. Get in free with your NUID.
- Attend an event hosted by the Office of Academic Success and Intercultural Services (OASIS).
Week Six: February 25-March 3
- GO TO CLASS - Reflect on the first six weeks of the semester. What’s working? What needs improvement?
- Schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor to plan for the Fall 2024 semester: my.unl.edu.