First Husker, a program dedicated to helping first-generation college students start their academic careers successfully at UNL, is seeking Peer Mentors for the August 2017 foundational event and extended fall semester program.
The First Husker program supports students throughout their first semester at UNL and begins with a foundational program that occurs Sunday, August 13 – Wednesday, August 16, 2017. However, training will happen for peer mentors during the prior week (August 7-11). Additionally, this year the program will extend into the fall semester. A 10-week First Husker Seminar course will be required for all participants. This once per week course would focus on transition, academic success topics, and continued creation of a campus support network. Each seminar course would be led by both a First-Year Experience staff member and a Peer Mentor. (Each Peer Mentor will oversee 20-25 First Husker students, and will also attend the seminar course.) The Peer Mentor’s work load during the fall semester would be minimal (4.5 hours per week).
This position pays $10/hour. Eight peer mentors will be selected via an application and interview process. Applications should be completed online at https://goo.gl/forms/z8VMkw0RrOget98B2 by Friday, February 24, 2017.
- You are a first-generation student who participated in First Husker!
- 3.00 GPA or higher
- Involved in at least one extracurricular campus activity
- Experience working with others in a leadership or mentoring role
- Excellent communication, organization, and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups
- Proficiency with social media, taking and posting photographs online
Duties and Expectations:
- Available for all training and program dates and times
- Communicate with your students and make sure they are where they need to be schedule-wise
- Lead small group activities and discussions
- Be willing to share your experiences as a first-generation student in a variety of forums
- Attend and co-facilitate First Husker Seminar - covering topics like college transition, academic advising, campus resources, and academic success strategies
- Be a good role model
- Abide by University of Nebraska-Lincoln policies and procedures
Mandatory Dates and Commitments:
- April 21 – 2:00-5:00 PM – Contract paperwork and initial program meeting (Love-South #221)
- Peer Mentor training – 2-3 full days of training to take place during the second week of August (August 7-11)
- Paid hours during the second week of August assisting with preparation for foundational program
- Foundational program (August 13-16)
- First Husker Seminar interaction – Time/Day/Location will be set and occur at the same time during the first 10 weeks of the semester
- Weekly meeting with FYE staff partner to discuss First Husker Seminar and First Husker students
- Monthly Peer Mentor meeting for ongoing training and leadership development through the fall semester
- Weekly “office hours” to meet with and support First Husker students
More about the foundational August program: There will be 200 first-year students participating in the program. They will move into the residence halls early (on August 13th), and mentors will be working with them all day and into the evenings over the four days of the program. Students will move through various informational seminars and activities, and hopefully have some fun along the way too. Mentor participation will be critical to the success of this program. The activities will focus on: setting goals, succeeding in large lectures, using campus resources, connecting with faculty, and creating a success plan for the future.
For questions regarding this position, please contact First-Year Experience & Transition Programs.